At Holy Trinity CE Primary Academy, we have developed a high-quality English curriculum that enables all pupils to develop as confident readers, enthusiastic writers and fluent speakers. We aim to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. Pupils at Holy Trinity are immersed in rich and varied texts that engage, excite and motivate them to read and write. We have a strong focus on language development for our children because we know that speaking and listening are crucial skills for reading and writing in all subjects. We actively teach language and vocabulary acquisition so that our pupils leave the school with excellent oracy skills. The English curriculum is designed to develop knowledge and skills that are progressive, as well as transferable across all curriculum subjects. We believe that children need to develop key phonics, reading, writing and speaking skills so that they are prepared for the next stage in their educational journey.
The national curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
Teaching and Learning
Click on the links below for information regarding how English is taught.